Visit the neighbourhood - Gates Open Home & Garden Tour June 14, 2-14
Situated within a serene Toronto neighbourhood of estate lots and distinctive homes abutting the dramatic eastern bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario. Nine Annis Road offers a rare opportunity for city living where generously treed and meandering streets connect to forested paths, lakefront trails and parks; where a ten minute drive offers several golf courses and yacht clubs, and where downtown is still an easy thirty minutes away by car, GO or TTC.
A soaring two-storey portico welcomes you to this 4,000 square foot shaped by the inspiration of Frank Lloyd Wright and custom designed and built by an award-winning architect. Nine Annis Road sits on a third of an acre that could be described as a nature lover’s dream with a “west coast” feel; where deer, fox and rabbits occasionally wonder among the tall evergreens; where ledgestone walls, rock gardens and cedar accents connect this home to its landscape.
Inside and out the designer palette of natural texture and colour contrasts with modern form and material. Inspired touches such as Arts and Crafts styled chandeliers, wood, glass and stainless accents, and custom artistic details underscore that this is a home that cannot be found anywhere else.
Designed for elegant and flexible living
Flowing modern spaces; natural light cascading from tall windows and generous skylights; nature-inspired materials - these are the obvious interior themes. But a closer look reveals that function and flexibility have been seamlessly integrated to create an architectural masterwork that is greater than the sum if its parts.
A meticulously planned layout will adapt to a variety of life stages and styles with ample opportunity for active and comfortable living. A smaller family will appreciate four bedrooms, a family room and a media/fitness room plus a generous lower level to accommodate a home office, children’s play area or teenager party space with a walk-out to the pool area. A larger family can take advantage of five bedrooms and a lower nanny suite with separate entry. Or an extended family appreciating life with Grandma can provide her with a main-level suite sleeping and lounging.
And there is no shortage of luxury and convenience features; whether one is admiring the 330 square foot Chef’s Kitchen with dual fridges, twin ovens, and a large walk-in pantry area; the 400 square foot Master Suite with a soaring sky-lit dressing area, spa-like bathroom, oversized shower area, and big air-jet tub; or the extensive technical features such as the remote-controlled skylights, prewired speakers, high-speed Ethernet, programmable heated floors, or humidity sensing bathroom fans.
An incomparable location, a one of a kind home, and a lifestyle that combines the best of both city and nature.
Nine Annis Road – an uncommon offering in a very special enclave, and an elegant showpiece designed for truly comfortable living.
- A substantial one third of an acre in the heavily treed Hill Crescent, Parkcrest Road, Annis Road enclave of Scarborough Village adjacent to Guildwood Village.
- A stunning executive home designed in a timeless style; intended to be as enduring as the signature 30’ English Oak set into the front garden.
- Two dozen mature and stately evergreen trees enhancing the privacy and the ambiance of ‘forest’ living
- A spacious brick paver driveway leading to the stone clad two-car garage
- A limestone slab walkway leading to the 2-storey high covered forecourt and ‘Zen Garden’
- A large rear garden (about 100’ x 40’) accommodating the heated saltwater pool and a 400 square foot cedar deck
Main Levels (about 2,135 square feet):
- Entry Foyer - Dramatic 2-storey height with 8’ tall double wood and glass entry, Arts and Crafts inspired chandelier, sliding french doors, and twin closets.
- Living/Dining - A beautiful L-shaped skylit space with ceilings to 10’-6” and a full-height ledgestone fireplace focal point. Floor to ceiling windows overlooking Zen garden, and a wood and glass entry to solarium.
- Chef’s Kitchen - An exceptional 330 square feet of skylit space carefully laid out for form and function. Sparkling white Ceasarstone counters, a glass tile accent wall, a large centre island with eating counter and prep sink, seven Jennair appliances (5-Burner gas range, dual wall ovens, twin fridges, dishwasher, microwave), large walk-in pantry area, with overlook and a direct walk-out to the rear garden and pool.
- Family Room - Bright and airy with 11’ ceiling, architecturally stunning 10’ corner windows with outlook to landscaped forecourt.
- Bedroom No. 4 - A generous 14’ x 11’ with oversized closet (alternatively a home office);
- Bedroom No 5 - Expansive at 21’x 11’, (alternatively a second family room or fitness/TV room)
- Casual Entry and Laundry - An attractive and functional 12’ x 12’ area with 9’ ceilings, accessible from garage, ceramic tiled, full size LG front loading Washer and Dryer and laundry counter with sink.
- 3-Piece Bath - Stylishly wrapped in ceramic, porcelain and glass tile with walk-in custom glass shower.
- Powder Room - Simple and elegant 2 Piece, easily accessible from kitchen and rear garden or pool.
- Three Season Solarium - Skylit with windows on three sides, cedar and slate finishes, and walkout to rear garden
- Attached Double Garage - Distinctive dark tinted glass overhead doors let in ample light but restrict views from exterior, 10’ to 11’ clear height permits overhead storage.
Upper Levels (about 1,180 square feet)
- Master Suite - A gorgeous 400 square foot private retreat with 9’ to 14’ ceilings, a striking 5-piece ensuite and a generous skylit foyer/dressing/wardrobe area. Elegant wood accents provide unity and complement the sophisticated spa-like warmth of the master bath.
- Bedroom No. 2 - 14’ x 10’ plus study nook, dramatic corner window, 9’ ceiling, large close.
- Bedroom No. 3 - 12’ x 10’ plus study nook, dramatic corner window, 9’ ceiling, closet
- Family 4-Piece Bath - Porcelain tiled walls and floor, custom glass and stainless tub enclosure, heated floor
- Linen Closet - Family Linen and towel storage
- Storage Cubby - A “hide-all” 3’x6’ household storage cubby for all of those things that should go in a garage sale.
Basement Level (about 640 square feet)
- Nanny Suite (or alternate family room, play area, office) - 56O square foot finished area complete with closets, counter, cabinets and sink, and with direct walk-out to rear garden and pool area, inclusive of 3 piece bath with tiled heated floor.
- Utility Room with crawl space storage.
DESIGN, TECHNICAL AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES
- General Features
- 85% of the home has been built new or totally renovated as of 2011/2012. The remainder was either constructed or subject to major renovation in the late 1990’s.
- Unlike many “modern” style homes, 9 Annis Road is a home for living in; integrating its bright, spacious and airy qualities with inviting warmth, seamless functionality, and long-term flexibility.
- Interior and exterior design elements have been meticulously developed by the home’s award winning architect, including a carefully selected palette of materials and colours.
- Extensive architectural lighting through the home includes halogen pot lights, LED pot lights, walls sconces, pendants, chandeliers, cove lighting and ceiling fixtures.
- 3/4" solid hardwood flooring through main living areas and Bedrooms 1, 2 and 3. Warm cork engineered flooring in Family Room and Bedrooms 4 and 5.
- Extensive use of high quality ceramic and porcelain wall and floor tiles, and/or glass tile accent walls throughout the Foyer, Kitchen, Bathrooms, Mudroom and Laundry areas.
- Custom Design Features
- Custom detailed and finished Douglas Fir trim and other details coordinate with the natural Douglas Fir interior finish of the high quality Loewen Windows and Doors.
- A specially commissioned 8’ tall sculpted art glass panel is both a conversation piece and a visual divider between the living room and kitchen.
- A custom designed and fabricated “9 ANNIS ROAD” identity sign reinforces the special nature of the home.
- The custom designed and fabricated wood interior stairs, glass and stainless steel railings define the elegant blend of natural and “high-tech” materials found throughout.
- Custom Hunter Douglas blinds through most rooms.
- Energy and Comfort Features:
- Roof and wall insulation values average 25% in excess of 2011 Ontario Building Code standards
- Main Level concrete slabs on grade insulated with 2” rigid foam and below grade flooring installed over “Dricore” subfloor panels
- Loewen windows and exterior doors (2011) have high performance Low ‘E’, argon filled insulating glass
- Velux skylights (2011) include high performance Low ‘E’, argon filled insulating glass (five venting units including two with remote controlled “rain sensing” electric operation and one with integral blackout blind).
- Carrier high-efficiency 140,000 BTU furnace with heat recovery ventilator, high efficiency Air Conditioning (2011) and steam humidification (2013).
- Exterior pot lights and kitchen pot lights are fitted with ultra-low energy LED lamping.
- Programmable heated floors in Master Ensuite and Family Bath are warm when needed and off when not.
- Other Quality Features:
- Kitchen: All Jennair appliances
- Pool: New salt water system (2013)
- Pool: New pool pump and gas heater (2011)
- Exterior Windows and Doors: Loewen solid Douglas Fir frames and sashes, maintenance free prefinished aluminum exterior (85% 2011)
- Roof: 40 year shingles with 100% ice and water shield underlayment (2011)
- 200 amp electrical service (2011)
- 3/4" water service (2011)
- All copper wiring
- All copper and hi-tech PEX water piping
- Other Convenience Features
- Pre-wiring in major rooms for home data network, cable TV, telephone.
- Pre-wired speakers for Living/Dining/Kitchen area and Family Room area, suitable for use as part of WIFI multi-zoned central music system.
- Front and rear yard automatic irrigation system with rain-sensing water saver.
- Other Safety Features
- Wired ADT security system with door contacts, motion sensors, smoke detectors and battery backup.
- Permanently wired smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors throughout.